Welcome to the fifth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month’s topic comes to us from Mynxee of Life in Low Sec. She asks “Alts and Metagaming: Is playing two accounts who are logged in at the same time and work together (hauler/miner, explorer/combat associate, trade alts in trade hubs) a form of metagaming that is “ruining the game”?
It’s a good question, and unlike some previous banters, this is one that I really have a lot of experience with. Before I begin, here is a full disclosure. I have an alt. I have a mining/industrial/hauling alt. I love her, and she loves me. She’s in charge of cleaning the pod, and I bring home the bacon.
Initially, the reason for making the alt was so that my main character could start concentrating on PVP. My corp was moving towards nullsec, and we were ending our long-standing careers as carebears. I had already gotten myself a retriever, and I was moving further towards the mining side of the spectrum. When my corp started talking about all the fun they were having in PVP, however, I decided to scrap the retriever and train the skills to fly this new PVP Drake they had recommended.
Once we were settled in 0.0, however, I started to get a little bored with merely PVPing (and with all the Bistot around), I knew I wanted to get back to mining. This is when I created my alt account, and had her concentrate on mining. Since that time, she’s worked her way up to an Iteron V, the full Hulk setup, and all the neccesary refining skills. In addition, I’ve given her some transport ships skills, and she’s working on freighters.
I don’t believe that alts ruin the game. I do believe there may be some exploitation of the system, but for the most part, I just see alts as a way for active members to enjoy the game more (and give CCP more cash). There are things that ARE ruining the game; people using exploits, unfair resource distribution, ISK sellers, and I believe they are all much larger problems than any kind of multiple problem coming from alts.
- Epic Misadventures, This is my Alt – There are many like it but this one is mine.
- Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah, I Missed This Month’s Blog Banter!
- A Mule in EvE, Meta what? Is it hurting EvE?
- Morphisat’s EVE Online Blog, Me, Myself and I
- One Man And His Spaceship, Me and My Shadow
- Ombeve, Blog Banter edition 5
- Diving into PsycheDiver’s Psyche, CK’s Blog Banter #5: Everybody Needs Somebody
- Dense Veldspar, Blog Banter
- Ecliptic Rift, OOC: Blog Banter #5 Metagaming
- The Ralpha Dogs, Me, Myself and I
- Mad Rant, “Blog Banter – It’s my party, and I’ll alt if I want to….”
- EVE Chick, The Handicapper General
- The Wandering Druid of Tranquility, “…you see mate, it’s a matter of leverage, savvy?…”
- New Eden Diaries, It’s only a game
- Oz’s House of the Evil Dead, If You Can’t Ride Two Horses At Once, You Shouldn’t Be In The Circus
- Diving into PsycheDiver’s Psyche, Everybody Needs Somebody
- CrazyKinux’s Musing, Leave what you know at the door please!
- Diary of a Pod Pilot, [OOC] EVE Blog Banter #5 Metagaming
- Roc’s Ramblings, February Blog Banter – Meta Me
- more to come over the next few days!…